RSS

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sugar Free 30 Day Challenge

I want you to do something for me.

I want you to join me in a 30 day no sugar challenge. We will begin February 15 (hey, I'm being nice and allowing you a little Valentines gastro-happiness), and end on March 18 (so no boozing on St. Patty's... not that I have many boozy friends)

Now the rules.

What you are NOT allowed to eat:

  • grains (no wheat, rice, or corn, or any of that nonsense. It's only 30 days, just try it ok? You don't have anything to lose. 30 days will flash by pretty quickly)
  • dairy, except butter and Greek yogurt, but only very sparingly (no ice cream, gelato, cheese, heavy cream, milk, etc. Limit your butter/yogurt consumption to 1 cup per week, and PLEASE use REAL butter. None of that Smart Balance nonsense. The ingredient list should be cream and/or salt, but I prefer unsalted)
  • Sugar (duh, it's a sugar free challenge. No stevia, splenda, truvia, or any other form of sugar or sugar substitute. This includes maple syrup, honey, and agave)
What you CAN eat:
  • Vegetables. As much as you want.
  • Meat (especially wild caught sea food, and grass fed/pastured critter)
  • Delicious, satisfying healthy fat (avocado, coconut, olive oil, macadamias)
  • Some fruit. Eat it sparingly. 1 or 2 pieces of fruit of your choice per week. Best time to have it would be after an honest to goodness hard workout.

I'm not being completely paleo here. You are allowed peanut butter so long as there's no sugar in it. There's something special about enjoying an apple with some peanut butter after a hard run or good lift session. Also I'm not recommending any carb limit. See? This is totally do-able. The point is, for 30 days, to eat as clean as possible and get active. The biggest, hardest weighted lift of the day is the one that gets your butt out of bed or off the couch ;)

Why I'm doing this:
I'm having minor surgery March 9th. There will be weekly steroid injections involved that will spike my blood sugar, thus I need really crack down on my sugar consumption to keep my numbers in a good range for my next diabetes check up. I also really need support.

What I'll do for you if you do this:
I will try my best to provide you with recipes and links and reading to help you along your 30 day journey. You're going to want to get yourself some eggs, and stock up on veggies. One of my favorite breakfasts is frittata. Also I'm pretty crazy about brussel sprouts.

Don't focus on what you can't have. Focus on what you can. Also please get active. Even if it's a 30 min walk, just do something every day.

You have two days to decide if you'll join me. I hope the answer is a resounding "YES!"

1 comments:

Tristi Pinkston said...

You know it, babe! I'm in!