RSS

Monday, November 19, 2007

Mmm, spicy!

So as I sit here and digest my wonderful crunchwrap supreme from Taco Bell, and all the while crave more, I can't help but feel assured that this baby is gonna fit in just fine.
Hubby teases me that I crave spicy food so much. Mainly it's just texmex stuff-- Taco Bell/Taco Time. It seems I've eaten there at least once a week since mid-October when we conceived. While I've never been a big fan of spicy food, I am married into a family that is. My brother-in-law (cute, single, sweet, and never been married for any of you ladies out there) loves hot food. The hotter the better. So I tell dear ol' husband that baby can stay up with Uncle Aaron and eat hot sauce when he's old enough.
Why can't I just crave chocodiles and ding dongs like my mother did?

As Thanksgiving draws closer, I must admit that I am relieved to not be experiencing morning sickness. This is my 5th or 7th week of pregnancy (depending on whether you count forward from my last period or when we actually conceived), and I should be busy praying to the porcelain god. However, I am surprisingly unpregnant as far as symptoms go. Oh, sure, I get suddenly tired here & there, and the girls ache a little bit, but nothing intolerable. Thus I am grateful to have a wonderful appetite at the moment and look forward to my annual Day after Thanksgiving Everything Sandwich.
This concoction of mine is a monster. Delicious, but a monstrosity. Mashed potatoes, corn, turkey, and cranberry jelly smooshed between two sumptuous slices of buttered, homemade bread. I LOVE THANKSGIVING!
It's gonna kill my blood sugar though.

Clarene (my diabetes doctor) had me on a 10-1 insulin ratio. Basically I would take 1 unit of insulin for every 10 carbs I consumed. This was doing jack squat for my sugar. You can imagine how upset I would be when my sugar was in the 190s (BAAAAAD!!), I take insulin which is supposed to make it come down, retest in an hour, and the number is HIGHER. That's right. Over 200. I was very upset. The next day I altered my insulin to an 8-1 ratio. This has been a tremendous help for me and I've noticed a big change in my numbers. For the first time in my life I'm getting a few numbers in the 80s! I hope Clarene won't be upset. I figure she probably would've changed my ratio at the next visit anyway. Now if I can just get my sugar to be that good in the morning, we'd be on to something. Remind me to ask Clarene how to do this.

Speaking of doctors, we see the OB/GYN for the first time next Tuesday (27th). I'm looking forward to the appointment, and hope that everything is going the way it's supposed to. Not having serious symptoms makes me nervous. Strangely, I find comfort on the rare occassions that I am queasy, like it's a reassurance that we really are expecting and everything's fine. Hubby said I could retest if it would put my mind at ease, but I really don't want to mock God or jinx myself.

Now the real waiting game is February when we find out what we're having. It's so annoying to go to the store with a desire to purchase things, and you really can't because you don't know for sure if it's a boy or a girl. Really, I think I'll be happy with a normal, healthy baby, and I'm doing what I can to ensure that. But we'd really like a boy first, and I can't help but drink in all the little man clothes. I know I could buy neutrals, but I really don't want a closet full of greens & yellows. Besides, some of the best stuff is gender specific.

Anyway, I feel like I could ramble on all day if I wanted to, but I'll just have to leave you hanging in suspense for now. Will Shera attack the household again? Is there someone in my life who claims to know what I'm having? Find out in our next episode in the continuing saga of a first time pregnant diabetic mom!

Thanks for tuning in!

0 comments: