RSS

Monday, July 18, 2011

Getting Caught Up

The last few weeks we've been getting caught up on our dental work as a family. Last week I got super deep cleaning done under my gums on my right side, and today I got my left side done. They numb you up to the point where you're easily mistaken for a stroke victim, and I couldn't really eat the rest of the day. Knowing this, I was prepared for my left side today! Over the weekend, I wondered if key lime juice + coconut milk + a little sweetener would taste like key lime pie. Then I had the brilliant idea to make a protein pudding of it. It worked like a charm. I had food I could easily gum and swallow post-dental.

KEY LIME PROTEIN PUDDING
2 packets knox unflavored gelatine (abt 2T)
1/2c cold water
1 13.5 oz can coconut milk (I used Native Forest-- ty to my PB friends for turning me on to it and foresaking Thai Kitchen! MAKE SURE TO SHAKE THOROUGHLY BEFORE OPENING)
1/2c key lime juice
2 scoops unflavored whey protein powder
your favorite sweetener to taste

In sauce pan, pour 1/2c cold water & the gelatine. Give it a stir so it's not all clumped together, then let it settle for 1 min. Over low heat, stir for at least 5 mins. The water should turn very nearly clear as the gelatine is dissolved. Remove from heat, allow to cool 5 mins.
In separate bowl, pour coconut milk & key lime juice, add the protein powder. With a mixer (I used a stick blender, very effective), blend until protein powder is completely dissolved. Taste, and begin to add sweetener until it meets your taste bud's satisfaction.
Slowly, drizzle the gelatin/water into your key lime base, stirring on low 30 seconds. Place in fridge. Allow to set 2 hours.

Nutritional information (for mine):
900 cals, 81g fat, 14g carb (100% from the coconut milk), 47g protein, 7g sugar, 72g saturated fat, 50mg sodium, 90 mg cholesterol, 770 mg potassium

Of course, if you divide this into portions, it'll be much lower

Also, if you switch out the coconut milk for HWC, you drop to 0 carb, but the calories go up astronomically, and you'll miss out on that terrific lauric acid from coconut milk.

I think I will try it as a smoothie in a few days. It was very refreshing for the hot weather we've been having.

While I was getting my left side done, Grace got her very first dentist check up. She was super cooperative from what I could hear. I was getting drugged up when they brought her back to the stall next to mine. That's when the trouble started. I have this ginormous syringe in my cheek and suddenly I hear "Hi, I'm Grace!"
My eyes water, I dare not move though I desperately want to burst into laughter like a knee jerk reflex. "I have toes! I'm THREE!"
Even my hygienist was giggling.

God bless my wicked awesome, hilarious kid.

0 comments: