RSS

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Biting The Bullet

I've been avoiding it, but it really is time. I need Whole 30 like an alcoholic needs AA. August 1st, I will be doing a modified Whole 30. I know, we discussed this before "what's the point of doing whole 30 if you modify it?". I'm not modifying it that much. I'm calling it Bacon 30 (cuz I'm allowing bacon). I will post a list below of what I am allowing for myself and what I am not. Really, it's all about being totally honest with one's self anyway, and cracking down on compliance.

What I'm NOT Allowing During Bacon 30
  • Dairy-- dairy has been sneaking back into my diet, primarily in the form of heavy cream. Man that stuff is tasty!
  • Grains (no brainer)
  • Soy
  • Legumes
  • SUGAR-- this is my biggest baddie. I will be working extra hard to keep extracurricular sugars out of my system. No baking (will try to funnel creative urges into writing), no sugar coated treats. I will only consume sugars naturally occurring in food, such as fruit, vegetables, and meat
  • No nightshades (including potatoes, eggplant, bell peppers, paprika, and tomatoes).
  • NO POST BACON 30 BINGING!

What IS Allowed During Bacon 30

  • BACON! (Honestly, I don't understand why Whole 30 excludes bacon. I know it's b/c it's cured with sugar, but W30 is really hard without bacon. Bacon is delicious. Especially the chemical-free kind)
  • Butter
    "Wait. I thought you said no dairy?"
    I know, I know. I'm going to allow a little butter, okay? Ghee is great and all, but butter is freaking delicious... and I'm not gonna sit there and eat a whole block. I'll use it sparingly to cook and put some on my veggies.
  • Pudding
    *Panic mode* "YOU SAID NO SUGAR! YOU SAID NO BAKING!"
    Take a deep breath. I've been making haupia lately. I think it's a great way to get in a serving of coconut. Also baked custard (made with coconut milk) makes a terrific hot breakfast.
    *grumble* "That doesn't make it okay. You're totally not doing Whole 30."
    Never said I was. This is BACON 30. This is my way of cracking down. You know what? There doesn't need to be extra sugar added to coconut based stuff. Coconut is sweet on its own. *King Julien Voice* So shut up, okay?
  • Measuring myself (Whole 30 doesn't let you weigh or measure yourself, but I would like to know that I'm making progress. I will weigh myself on the days I go to the gym so that I can accurately set my HRM. I also have a diabetes check up mid-August)
What I Expect to Gain From This
  • Better compliance
  • Lower fasting blood sugar
  • Defeat the evil sugar monster that, when triggered, launches me into violent hormonal-based binges
  • Lose weight (cuz, face it, that's all everybody REALLY wants, right?)
GOALS IN ADDITION TO BACON 30
  • Go to gym at least twice a week-- this will be easier once Grace officially starts preschool on August 23
  • Do sprints once a week
  • Do better about housekeeping (I expect that cutting out sugar will help my hormones and improve my overall mood, thus improving hygiene habits)
  • Lose weight (see above)

August Bacon 30, here I come! And, dear friends, I hope you will take up your courage and join me.

0 comments: