RSS

Friday, January 14, 2011

The Resolute Cavewoman

Christmas came and went. Ma was pretty good about keeping her opinions about my lack of house keeping to herself. However, she just wanted to sit on the couch and watch TV most of the day, unless I cajoled her into shopping or eating out. I tried my best to eat healthy, but failed miserably with all the irresistible goodies that inevitably found their way in to our home. A few days after Christmas, a funny thing began to happen. I somehow recalled/stumbled across the Paleo diet. I had come across it at the very beginning of my weight loss journey and it seemed, not only radical, but dangerous. Along the lines of the Paleo diet was also the Primal Blueprint. I began to look in to it a little, and finally found Marks Daily Apple. It seemed to me to be a little more relaxed form of Paleo. If you're not familiar with either, I encourage you to become so. If you're still scratching your head, going "Huh? What is she talking about?", allow me to put it to you bluntly.

THE GOVERNMENT & FDA ARE FEEDING YOU LIES.

It's a daring and radical statement. Mankind lived virtually disease free until the advent of agriculture and grain farming. Think about it. In the last century, when cereals and grains have been pushed upon us as a "nutritious" staple of one's diet, obesity has boomed, diabetes has run rampant, and we've seen more fatal diseases than our ancestors in the Dark Ages.

Okay, maybe the last sentence is a little dramatic, but obesity and diabetes are out of control since the introduction of a high carbohydrate diet. The basis of the Primal Blueprint is to go back to one's genetic roots, Caveman style, and eat what would have been available to them: critter, fruits, nuts, and veggies. No bread, no cereal, no grains, soy, or even dairy (although dairy is allowed in the Primal Blueprint lifestyle).

What does this mean for your favorite Pregnant Diabetic Blogger?

One day, after thinking a lot about Primal Blueprint, I was out with a friend and blurted out, "I've decided to become a caveman."
My friend, naturally, was baffled, but then intrigued after I explained it.

Now, mind you, I'm not going at this willy nilly. I've come armed and dangerous with several books, beginning with Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint & Primal Blueprint Cookbook, as well as the Paleo Diet for Athletes. They all encourage the consumption of plenty of natural, lean meat, veggies, and other organic substances.

So there's my New Year's Resolution. I've decided to become a Cavewoman. Dinner tonight was bacon wrapped chicken breast, stuffed with creamed baby spinach, and lots of veggies. It was yummy! I had orange key west shrimp salad for lunch with feta and walnuts, and tomorrow I'm making flourless pancakes.

You may all now completely freak out over my elimination of an entire food "nation". It's certainly going to be interesting to see how my doctor's react.

0 comments: