RSS

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Nobody Panic

Okay.... NOBODY PANIC!

I had a meeting for church last night (I'm on the primary presidency), and I ran my first half mile. I went 1/2 a mile in 7 minutes... because I walked... a LITTLE! I can run from my house to the block corner, which is probably 1/3 of the way, then I walked a block, then I ran 1/2 a block, then I walked, then I pushed up a small hill at a jog. Boy, have I been strongly disillusioned! Running forward is NOT easier than running in place. It's not even on the same playing field. It's COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! The air has been real bad here, so knowing that, maybe I'm just panicking... my legs were not tired, I just couldn't breathe. When I got to the president's house, I sat down, enthusiastically accepted water, and in my mind kept thinking "Oh, no, what have I signed up for?! 3 miles of THAT! No, no, no, it's not possible. I'm going to look like a total fool."
But the 2 gals that were at the meeting have both run several races, and one gave me a ride home, even though I wanted to run. I told her my feelings, and she said it's cuz it's cold and the air is really crappy right now, and I'll do fine. Just run the hill every other day till the race, and that should build up the stamina I need. She even offered to loan me her jogging stroller for the day of the race if Andy signs up so we can take Grace with.

1 comments:

Tara Oliver said...

that's awesome that you singed up for the race. you go girl!! looks like a fun one. it IS DEFINITELY MUCH HARDER to run outside than it is to run in place (or even on a treadmill, I think). yes, it is a little hard with the air quality being soooooo bad right now, but hopefully a storm will blow that out soon because you really don't want to be exercising in it if you can help it. when I did a 5k, I walked for some of it. ran some, walked some. couldn't believe that people still came in behind me. :) you'll do great!!