RSS

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Time Out

Grace just had her first time out. She was making our video cabinet wobble. We don't have it bolted to the wall, because we move it often, so bolting isn't really an option, which leaves it as kind of a dangerous play thing for Grace. We've told her no, but after her 18 month checkup yesterday, her doctor said now is the time to start time outs. So we had one. I gave her a warning "One... two... TIME OUT!" and stuck her in the corner between our front door, bedroom door, and closet door. It seemed perfect. It took about 10 minutes of us putting her back into the corner and telling her she was in time out, but she eventually got it. She stayed for 1 minute. We then went to her, told her why she was there, taught her the sign for sorry, and gave loves. In a few months I will bring her up to speed of 1.5 minutes, since she's 1 & 1/2 now. I think the minute for each year of your life is the way to go. And in a few months, she'll be a pro at time out, and I think ready for 1.5 mins.
Boy, parenting is fun! I was really proud she picked up pretty quickly and stayed where she was told. I have the best baby ever!

0 comments: