RSS

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Muscle Nog

I feel blessed to live in the great, industrious state of Utah.  It's always growing and changing (just look at the freeway constantly under contruction, hahaha).  Really, there's a reason we're called the Beehive State.  I have access to raw dairy, grass fed critter, and real honey straight from the hive.  Even better:  I live in a town full of Primal goodies!  Less than 2 miles from my house is Amano chocolate, Kara chocolate, and Crio Bru (what's really crazy is they're all within a block radius from eachother!). 
However, a new and even more exciting company has recently popped up, Muscle Nog.  If you read my Quick N Dirty Egg Nog recipe, you'll know how much I love egg nog.  Now  Muscle Nog has come along with a wonderful, creamy protein shake that is surely after the warm fuzzy cockles of my heart!  Charlie Mitchell very generously hooked me up with not one, not two, but FOUR samples of his exciting new protein powder-- two of each flavor.  He's even in the process of developing an actual egg nog flavor which I demand to get in on! ;)

The great thing about Muscle Nog is not just that it's produced locally, but that it's an egg based protein.  They don't spray dry it, or denature it in any way.  This is a highly bioavailable protein for your body.  The quicker your body can access protein after a workout, the quicker and easier you're going to bounce back.  Did you know that pasteurized egg whites you get at the store are not as bioavailable as Muscle Nog?  Pasteurized egg whites are low heat pasteurized to kill harmful bacteria, have to be refrigerated to prevent growth of harmful substances, and can cause gas.  Ew.
Muscle Nog takes the egg whites and processes them into crystals.  These crystals can be reconstituted in water or your favorite milk for a rich and creamy recovery treat.  Muscle Nog reaches into the biological bank and maintains equal value and quality as close to a freshly laid egg as you can get without all the messy, gooey, sticky cracking involved from the egg cartons.  Muscle Nog digests slowly so you get more anabolism out of it and less catabolism.  The slow digestion is especially beneficial to individuals, like myself, who have diabetes.  The slow release of nutrition results in a more even insulin response, and less of a spike and crash.  Trust me on this one, I tested my sugar like a madwoman for your benefit just so I could make that statement!

BUT HOW DOES IT TASTE?
Yeah, I knew you were going to ask that.

I stacked up Muscle Nog against my beloved zero carb Isopure creamy vanilla and low carb Isopure chocolate whey powders, aaaaaand...
It's great!  It was a thousand times better than Jay Robb's egg based protein powder, which I have also tried (IMHO, Jay Robb's egg based protein is, hands down, VILE!).
Isopure dissolves more readily when used in a shake, however whatever got stuck to the back of my spoon with Muscle Nog was good enough to chew, bite, and lick off.  The Muscle Nog was like drinking the delicious, gooey stuff that's left when your ice cream melts.  Unfortunately the ingredient list isn't quite primal, but for a protein drink the deliciousness is definitely off the richter scale! Nom, nom, nom<3

I am aware that there's a difference between egg based protein and whey based, but I honestly felt that Muscle Nog deserved to be compared to a high quality protein such as Isopure. So here ya go:

NUTRITION FACTS FOR NILLA NOG:
Serving size 2 scoops
110 cals, 2.5g fat, 2g carb, 20g protein

NUTRITION FACTS FOR ISOPURE ZERO CARB CREAMY VANILLA:
Serving size 2 scoops
210 cals, 1g fat, 0g carb, 50g protein

NUTRITION FACTS CHOCO NOG:
Serving size 2 scoops
110 cals, 2g fat, 4g carb, 20g protein

NUTRITION FACTS ISOPURE LOW CARB DUTCH CHOCOLATE:
Serving size 2 scoops
220 cals, 1g fat, 3g carb, 50g protein

But let's not be limited by shakes.  Oh, no, no, no.  I got FOUR samples, remember?  So I made myself some waffles & pancakes.  That's right, sucka.  You heard me.  Mmm-hmm... WAFFLES AND PANCAKES!


Isopure made a very dry waffle, but was easily remedied with ample sugar-free syrup and butter.  Muscle Nog made a wonderful, eggy waffle, cuz, gee, IT'S MADE FROM EGGS! 


Use your noggin, and go get nogged!

Disclaimer: Muscle Nog provided me with a free sample of this product for review, and I was under no obligation to review it if I so chose.  Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review in return for the free product.

1 comments:

lancy said...

Thanks,This blog is very nice and helpful for us.


Protein Powder