RSS

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Everyday Paleo, Day 26

So my idea to combine the butter chicken & curried veggie last night was a resounding success! Music in my mouth to the tune of mmmm, mmm, mm!

Got Andy up at 10 (love dog-piling him on the weekends with Grace, and playing as a family for the next half hour), got him fed, and he started helping me pull lunch together. Everyday Paleo Pizza. This was a good experience for us because now we know that meatza is far superior in taste, and we really don't miss the crust on meatza, but this paleo pizza was good in its own right, and Grace chowed down willingly.

As soon as it was in the oven, I set to work on preparing dinner. It was going to take an hour to prepare, and I didn't think we'd have time when we got home from church before going to stake choir practice. I'm glad I did, cuz I just wanted a nap when we got home from church.

Have you ever come across a food whose name you're not quite sure how to pronounce? I had that quandry. Dinner was Albondigas Soup. "Al-bon-di-gus?" "Al-bon-dee-has?". At choir I mentioned it to my friend & she said "Albon-deehas". Aha!
However you say it, it was pretty tasty. Spicy, but tasty.

It calls for 2 lbs of ground beef for the meatballs. I don't know about you, but ground beef is expensive here, but I can get ground Italian turkey sausage for $1/lb. To soften the blow of the cost, I did 1 lb ground beef & 1 lb Italian turkey sausage. It helps cut the cost of spices, and cuts back on fat if that's a concern of yours (not me, I love fat. Fat is delicious! Everyone should learn to embrace it and eat some).
I used a similar trick to help cut the cost on the pizza. It calls for 2 cups of almond flour. Almond flour is hello expensive ($10/lb), but flaxmeal is not. So I used 1c almond flour, and 1c flaxmeal. Tasty, especially with the rosemary from my garden.

Best of all, my blood sugar was 95 before dinner. Haven't seen it that low in a while. Now if I can just figure out how to get it that low in the mornings!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Albondigas is Spanish for meatball. al-BON-dee-gas.